Wednesday 21 April 2010

Countdown

Karen finishing the 8 miler





Well here we are in the final run up to my first ultra. My thoughts are really pretty 'open' I would say. I've had a few problems with my left knee (ITB) on runs over 20 miles but this hasn't stopped me from running and the recovery has been pretty quick. I just hope that it doesn't get too bad on Saturday.

The last few runs have been pretty good although I really feel as though I'm p%$$ing in the dark a bit with this training having done REALLY structured training plans for past marathons!

In my favor i do know the whw like the back of my hand...although this didn't stop me getting lost on the 30 miler (I know) I know I respond well to a challenge and race day vibes so I hope that that will make up for the patchy training!

I ended up missing my longest training run of 42 miles and replaced it with some aimless wanderings of Clydebank-Knightswood-anniesland...just to get a run in! hardly the whw but better than nothing!

I ran back from the airport a couple of weeks ago-having abandoned my family in Essex with the outlaws. Anyone who hasn't done that it's well worth it! (Maybe not this week) There's no more liberating feeling than boarding a flight with only runnin gear on and a wee back pack...skipping down the steps of the plane...past the baggage pick up, out of the doors, past the taxi/bus queue's, and running home. I took the wee footpath that runs down the side of the Normandy Hotel and round the banks of the Clyde, passing the rather Dr Seuss like scrap yards (sure I saw a few Sneetches)It also gave me chance to use the renfrew Ferry which was well worth the £1:60 charge for the novelty and the avoidance of te tunnel or the erskine bridge. I'm not sure that nipping into the 'Ferry Inn' for a bottle of water and change was advisable however I got out unscathed..more I think because I had the priceless element of surprise on my side!

Last week Karen and i ran along the Strathblane railway accompanied by Robert on his bike. A nice easy 8 miler to mark the start of the taper..it was freezing and we just had to head to the strathblane deli for a coffee n snack afterwards.

Mick a fellow firey from clydebank and I headed up into the hills on Monday...early rise so I could be back for 3pm. I'm pretty random it seems..I'll climb anythin but Mick had a destination in mind..so we bagged Meall Buidhe making it to the top in 70Min's, thick cloud and hail/snow hammering us from the start. As if by way of reward as we left the cairn the sun burnt away the mist and we were treated to stunning views over Glen Lyon and the reservoir below.

So here I am... contemplating what I should put in my drop bags...hoping it doesn't snow! Forecast looks good though and i don't have to catch a plane anywhere. Good luck to EVERYONE running this weekend Fling and London, Debbie..I've packed my club vest for that team GH shot..if you can hang around at the finish for me that is!!

Oh and BTW just in case you haven't noticed Im looking for sponsorship for this race and the Tunnel to towers 5k in New York in September. follow the Just giving link at the top of the page...all donations appreciated!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

8 mile wow your are a really runner Seattle Real Estate