Tuesday 29 April 2008

Tues night kids 'n' reps

I was going to do a hare and hounds with the kids at the the club tonight, but half an hour beforehand the heavens opened and there was an almighty thunderstorm. We ended up doing a 3 mile route well away from the freshly watered mud!

It was a nice easy chatty pace and a good opportunity to tell them all about the club race we are having next week...having failed to get a good turn out at many races through the winter (despite having +60 turn up each week) we are trying one on their training night. They all seem quite up for it and quite keen to race in teams with the adults. (Another ploy which will hopefully enthuse both groups!)

I met Robert for a reps session afterwards down at Kilmardinny Loch. We did 4x1000m. I was glad I had arranged to meet him as I'm not sure I would have managed to drag myself out otherwise.

I find the reps really tough mentally, it only seems to take about 500 metres before that little lazy demon starts on whispering in the back of my mind 'you're nuts, you don't have to do this, you could just stop and jog, this hurts!'. I guess that's what they're all about!

The first one was a bit too fast-as in can't breathe or talk for 5 minutes fast, so slowed the pace a little for the next 3 just to be sure I would finish them! Felt great once they were in the bag though and I always enjoy my dinner twice as much afterwards;-)

kids 3 mile :33.34mins
1000 splits :4:07, 4:13, 4:15, 4:15.

1 comment:

Coach said...

Good session, target was 4x1000 in time band 4.10 to 4.20. First rep too fast in 4.08 but other 3 spot on. Will work towards 6x1000 then aim for 4.05 to 4.10. Breathing not right tonight but determination and mental approach good.