Saturday 17 October 2009

DAAA XC Relays

I was working Mon-Thurs this week so I squeezed in a couple of short runs through the week but nothing spectacular.
Thursday N?S I get a text from Maz..garscube Ladies captain, seems she was keen to get a couple of runners to make up a 5th team for the DAAA xc that was to be held at Garscube on Saturday..so, following the advice of one Davie Hall, to do as many xc as possible I felt I couldn't say no...I was going to be there as Registration official anyhow!

11:30 on Saturday I roll up to Garscube..it's a lovely day but I spend the following two hours in the basement allocating numbers....time flies when you're having fun!

Both Cody and Lucie took part in the U11 race with fab results...Cody was the 4th boy and Lucie was just a minute behind him! Well done kids.

Abandoning my post at 13:35 for a race that starts at 13:50 I did a very short warm up and hit the starting pen for the first leg.
Now I am not good at xc, it plays hell with my lungs and I am not good at short stuff but I do know it's good training...

So I set off and by the first corner I knew the pace was way too fast for me...The first leg runners were meaning business and I would have keeled over if I had taken them on! So I killed my pace untill I could breathe once more and tried to focus on my own race..not the fact I was so slow by comparison.

The Garscube course is pretty good as it's a bit trail and not too much gloopy field, I could do with out the bits around the pitches though...boring..

As I settled into a slightly more doable pace I could tell Mo wasn't far behind me, and I have to say it was her that kept me going...

I love the last bit of the route...through the overgrown path by the river..bamboos and all sorts..I take the kids along this route quite often as it's very jungle like! It was a great relief to get to this section as I knew I was nearly there...
I was up against some pretty nifty runners in that first leg and so I didn't do too badly with 9th out of 15th placing...full results are here

Stephanie and Karen made up the rest of the team both doing good times and a promise to do more!!

Well done to the Garscube ladies A team who wiped the board!

And I did work hard!

No comments: