Sunday 19 April 2009

Week 9 runs

Mon-Circuits
Wednesday-3.5m along the beach with Lynn. Fresh!
Thursday-decided to run along the coast to North Berwick and back. Skipped tea and set off at 6pm, it was pretty misty.

I had to run towards Gullane beach to get around the Golf course then hit the trail that led in the direction of N Berwick. This was an exploration and I had a vague notion that I should at some point meet up with the John Muir Way.

About 35 mins into the run I came upon a choice of thick gorse high fences and undergrowth or turning round...obviously I chose the first option and fought my way over two high fences and combat with foliage....then it became totally impassable and so reluctantly turned round. As I emerged out of the thicket I caught sight of a wee winding path leading down to the sea...so I took that.

It led me to a beautiful small cove -I was then able to follow it along to yellow craigs beach.

The mist made the run very atmospheric. I felt like I was miles from anywhere surrounded by the bright silver grey tones of the sea mist contrasted with the dark slate rocks and golden sand..I was sorry I didn't have my phone to record it.

As I ran I was surrounded at times by Little Terns, seagulls and big black crows who contrasted with the grey seascape.

I made it round the coast to North Berwick in 1h 15mins without coming across the John Muir Way until I actually hit the town! I followed the signs back which led me back along the road???!!!!

Anyway, it was only 40 mins back to Gullane.

I have no definite idea of distance as I have misplaced my garmin cradle-can't charge it! But it's about 4.5-5m along the road to Gullane maybe a little more to the harbour which is where I ran to. Of course the coastal route will be longer! Now I know the route I will try it again with camera!

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

WOW! Look at all the water in your google earth map! My maps looks nothing like that! How cool!