Friday 27 February 2009

Ever been run over by a bus?



Week 2 complete. I feel as though I have been run over by a bus....a few times! Monday was not to bad with the only real physical being the circuits session on the Monday night. Tried to make sure I reserved a little energy for what was to come on Tues...Hose running.

As I had not done this before it took me a while to get the knack, after a whole afternoon of rolling the hose out and rolling it in again I was pretty gubbed, as were most of my squad. I am sure I was actually dreaming about hoses chasing me with little evil faces on Tuesday night! (No drugs needed)

The week flew in with a whole day learning pump drills and a whole day doing ladder drills ending with only one lecture on Friday afternoon. There's no room for recovery days or time for injury so I just hope that I stay fit for what's still to come. I am sure that the whole of Gullane could smell the deep heat eminating from the campus!



Best part of the week was pitching the 13.5m ladder and climbing it to the 3rd floor, worst was struggling to lower the bloody thing, the rope just wanted to slip straight through my gloves- so guess what I'm doing this weekend....squeezing tennis balls!

Running wise...apart from the full on continual upper body work and running round the college with ladders I only managed 2 short runs with Lynn. Both about 3.25m. Couldn't persuade her to to venture away from the streetlights even with my head lamp so the beach remains a distant sound in the darkness!

4 comments:

Davie said...

Sounds like hard work!
I'm going to be serious here; I would consider the use of cold baths and showers to aid recovery from all your exertions. Honestly it's not that bad when you get used to it!
Same goes for Deep Heat, by all means use it PRIOR to working, to give you some pre heating of the muscles, although rugby are now moving towards ice baths prior to exercise as being more efficient at oxygenating muscles. Post exercise a cold rub would be better if you don't use the cold water alternative!

Davie

PS. Any advice from the subversive runner/boxer this weekend should be regarded as being from someone suffering from excessive exposure to a pair of boxing gloves.

FionaOutdoors said...

Sounds exhausting just reading about your training. Just think about how super fit you'll be by the end. You'll be a small figure in the distance ahead of me on future hill running outings. x

Alexandra said...

I have never been run over by a bus but I have been pulled through a rat hole and pushed back out again! I think the feeling could be similar!

What a week you had! I can't imagine how you people can have so much energy!

Subversive Runner said...

No advice from me other than 'Crack On, Rachel.'

Hose running made me feel sick when I did it. but you can be content knowing you'll NEVER do it outside of training school!!!

Keep up the good work, missus.