Sunday 7 September 2008

"Sometimes you have to get worse before you can get better"

Tom Watson

It was brilliant conditions for the Glasgow half today. The masses were out in all shapes and sizes.

I was psyched up and ready for the race.

Started well, felt strong, I was hitting my goal pace.

At 3 miles in I got the most horrendous stich. (not something I have suffered from before) I stopped and stretched a few times, tried a really slow jog for about a mile but I could not shift it. I had started to feel dizzy and sick by this time and so for the first time ever I pulled out of the race. I walked back to Glasgow Green. It took me the whole walk back before the pain started to subside. I think I had just expected a bit too much of myself these last couple of weeks and it was just a step too far.

The great part was that I got to watch the others finishing . For the first time ever I was at the end to see the awesome scene as the winners cruised in. What a sight! The power and speed after running 13m is amazing!

Following that there were a few great performances from other Garscubers and Kelvin Runners. They were all very supportive when they saw I was in trouble. A huge thanks and well done goes out to them.

I have some pics of fellow Garscubers which I will post later.

I am sure I made the right decision to pull out as I slept for 3 hours when I got home and really didn't feel that good. Hopefully this will be a bad dress rehersal for a great Marathon!! I am under no allusion that I be close to my 2007 pb but I will be out to enjoy it and take in Berlin without too much pressure!! There's always another race around the corner after all! it was just a very expensive t-shirt as one of my friends said!!

1 comment:

Stephen Mulrine said...

What a shame! You seemed to be doing fine when we saw you.