Sunday 14 December 2008

Fly fishing for Football?

Following the excitement of yesterday and a few more glasses of wine I was slow to rise this morning. I had left the car in the West End and therefore planned a route to collect said vehicle.

It was a dull day about 1 degree, good running conditions.

I opted for a route through Clydebank then along Dumbarton Rd and the old railway track to the car.

Given that my weekend run is usually more 'Off road' and quite scenic, it was quite a change. Less picturesque in the pretty sense but in many ways just as interesting. Here's what caught my eye.

The unofficial emblem of Glasgow, the huge towering cranes that are remnants of the once thriving shipbuilding industry along the Clyde.


This Titian Crane is one of only four remaining along the Clyde. It's 150 foot and was built in 1907. It became a category A listed structure in 2005 and opened to the public in 2007....100years old!


Following the demolition of Clydebank college...to make room for houses, I had been wondering where it had been relocated. My question was answered as I ran along Dumbarton Rd, a big modern building by the river has appeared. At this point the planes seem close enough to reach up and touch as they descend into Glasgow airport just across the Clyde.

The less manicured sights of Yoker. I took the old railway track from Clydebank to Broomhill. The local graffiti artists had been out. A little more practice needed before we can claim to have our own Banksy.


Rather liked this little gathering of ariel lifts.


The best yet. Blow this picture up and you will see that this guy is actually fly fishing...think he was hoping to catch a football? A bizarre sight was practicing his 'single arm' or on really good acid? (I admit that all I know about Fly fishing is an association with J.R. Hartley and the yellow pages!)



The end of the railway track. A view across MacHargs and the Clyde to BAE.

Finally I did a loop of Victoria park to make my run up to 10 miles. A bit of a blast from the past as I used to spend many days wondering round this park when the kids were babies!


10m 1:27

6 comments:

Davie said...

I used to do a bit of fly fishing myself. I never had a permit and had to be fly or the bailiffs would catch me:-O

A few memories of when Partick was my beat and those sights were part of the working day. Don't try that run at night, even the tweenagers have asbo's!

ianbeattie1 said...

love the photos. when I worked in glasgow I would sometimes head out along the cycle track, normally going no further than Yoker. One Friday I just kept going all the way to Dumbarton and got the train back to the city centre. By the time I got back to the office everyone was ready to go home. I had to take a half day's holiday :) take care Ian

Alexandra said...

Thanks for sharing your photos! I think it's funny the things we notice when we run that we might not otherwise! He looks silly fly fishing in a football field!

Michael Reid said...

Liked the aerial lifts!

Debs M-C said...

The fly-fisher is hilarious!

Colleen said...

i love fishing my family go to rogue river Seattle Real Estate