Tuesday 15 July 2008

Err...what day is it?!

It has happened. I got up early today. Had a really hard day, fixing up the tent, buttering bagguette, eating croissants, sitting by the pool, reading,, coping with +30 degree heat. You get the picture. By tea time I was so exhausted I had been contempating an easy 3m. Still as the plan says 3m easy or rest I decided to rest!

I ate a large plate of pasta having made this decision..then it struck me....we were on Tuesday NOT Monday. Already I haven't a clue what day it is!! I should be doing reps and at the very least a bit of speed work!! we had arrange to go for a sundowner so I had to act fast if I was going to do anything at all!

Oh dear Berlin and the IOM half just seem so far away from here!

I pulled my trainers on and left my garmin to find a satelite! Resolving to do a 3 mile running as hard as is reasonable-on holiday! I set off only to return 3 seconds later as I still had my large brimmed sun hat on!!

I set out along the cycle path, through the fragrant pines which exude the evokative fragrancce of the Cote Savage. The air still warm but cooler at 8pm. I was feeling surprisingly good and felt I was striding out strongly.

Everyone here cycles and the looks you get when running vary from complete awe to complete confusion! 'Why run when you could cylcle'

I was happily doing sub 8mm so I tried to push my pace up a little. It was then that my Garmin totally lost the plot. The readings started comming in as 6mm, then 5:3mm finally saying I was whizzing along at 3:2mm!! (I would have been happy wi the 6!!)

I got back to the campsite in 21mins and had apparently done 3.7miles. Yeah right! You and I know that the gamiin never lies...but on this occasion I can only assume it was confused and clearly doesn't speak to french sattelites well!! Hope it acclimatises for the next attempt!! (I could same the same for myself!)

I would have to be honest and say I probably did about 2.75m.
approx 2.75m-21min

2 comments:

Debs M-C said...

Hey Rach,
Hope you're having a great holiday.
I know I warned you about blog-itis, but you're taking it to the extreme ;-) xx

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

I know! Was just about to complain about your lack of daily posts when I read your blog!!! Fab news, congratulations...such exciting news. Can't wait to see the results of such an elite gene pool;-)) xx