Wednesday 12 November 2008

Boiler Trouble


To cut a long story short today started with a bit of drama! I had called the gas repair man out as it had come to my attention that there was leak coming from our boiler. That is after all what they're there for and the reason we pay a small fortune each month to British gas!

It took me a wee while to persuade the guy to take the front off the unit to investigate the leak. He seemed to be from the school of...if it's working OK don't touch it. Eventually he did. The whole thing was rusted and wet....the boiler is only 4 years old) After coming up with a few comments about condensation he found the leak, touched it and the whole thing burst...all over the place. Our basement (which is a living space) was soon an inch deep in dirty water. Found the leak then?

Given that they have serviced this boiler since it was installed and have never once taken the front off to spot this problem I think the 'homecare' service stinks!

Now the bit that really gets me is that no mater what cover you have they always want more cash out of you. Rather than fix it (which would involve ordering a part-of course) they are now telling us we should get a combi boiler and they will knock money off...yeah right that will bring the bill in at only a few thousand then! grrrrr Still waiting from them to phone back with the deal they want to offer us! Meanwhile we have no heating.

Ok you can start reading again now I've got that off my chest!

Maybe this is a poor excuse but by the time I headed out for my reps session I was less then perky!

Fortunately as I ran down to the loch I came across my pal Val. she's a newbie runner and I have been encouraging her to get out and get running. She took my suggestion to meet me down at the loch for an introduction to the joys of 'reps'!

I had done a couple of them before she arrived...still feeling heavy legged and slow. The yoga still echoing around my limbs!

She did 200m reps and while I did the 1000's setting off at the same time.

I did two more and then did one final 200 with Val to time her. Will need to get her to blog next so we can see how she found the intro session!

4x1000 4:17, 4:15, 4:15, 4:15
1 x 200

2 comments:

Debs M-C said...

Don't even get me started on the ganster gas men. I've had the engineer out about four times in the last year, because the boiler keeps switching off. Likes to do it when you're mid-shower. Of course when the engineer arrives, it works fine. The law of sod.

Stephen Mulrine said...

I'm convinced that during my Homecare service last year, the engineer deliberately closed a screw-cap valve on my boiler which is meant to be loose to let air escape. After a few weeks there was the sound of air swishing around inside the boiler. I found the problem with the valve and unscrewed the cap myself. I wonder if I was supposed to phone Homecare and have an engineer come out to tell me I needed a new boiler.

As for Debs's boiler problem, that happens to us as well although I blame low water pressure. What we do is turn up the central heating thermostat up to 30 before starting the shower, which keeps the boiler running.