Thursday 27 November 2008

Snow



I was out with Superfit Dave again tonight navigating the route up to the Trigg point whose number I always forget.

This time though I took along Fiona outdoors with me. Miss adventure journo herself!

Earlier in the evening it had been thundering and the rain had been raining so we knew to expect some soggy conditions.

Fiona outdoors sped ahead effortlessly with Superfit Dave straight up the hill. (Although she did slip on the same fallen tree I had a week or two ago!) I gasped and gulped my way up, just keeping them in my sights.

It was 1 degree when we set off and the flooded tracks were laden with freezing water. Once you get the first foot wetting over the rest are rather refreshing though.

It's a steep climb up, my Achilles were quite painful as they stretched out with every step. Initially it was sleeting but the sleet soon turned to thick white snow flakes.

It was a great relief when I joined the other two at the top for the rewarding view. There was low cloud hovering above us and the City, quite a dramatic scene as we looked out.

Heading over the top to return by the alternative route before we started getting cold we ploughed through the collecting Snow. At times it was quite hard to see. The snow was whipping past horizontally like big, pure white ribbons. Visible only in the circle of my headlamp. It felt like quite an extreme run at that point.


My Solomon x trainers didn't cope well with the descent. Both Fiona outdoors and I were slipping around quite a bit. Superfit Dave however expertly picked out the route with not a slip or a slide, causing Fiona Outdoors to thoroughly examine and try on his Jalas Champions at the end. I suspect that even with a pair of them on I would still be slipping around!

Still never one to miss an opportunity for kit I will be adding them to my kit wish list!:-)

Fiona Outdoors had brought us both new sport drink to try. I am not really a fan of sports drinks and usually just stick to water mixed with fruit juice so I was a bit sceptical. One swig and I was sold though. It's called 'Taut isotonic' and it's tag is that it's an all 'natural sports drink' I recommend to those of you who don't want all that extra stuff!

3 comments:

Alexandra said...

Some of your runs seem to be quite adventurous! The description, at times, sounds pretty. I don't imagine you get much snow.

FionaOutdoors said...

Super-duper head torch now ordered! My wee LED torch just wasn't up to this adventure! Next stop those fab looking orienteering shoes. The run was totally bonkers - but I'm up for it again! Thanks to Rachel for introducing me to something way out of the ordinary! Awesome!
Fiona Outdoors

Colleen said...

: ) Seattle Real Estate