Saturday 1 November 2008

Garscube Interschools x-country league event 1

Today was the first of the 'Interschools x country' league events up at Mugdock. I was one of 3 first aiders along with Marco and Tristan.

So Jeremy could bring the kids up a bit later I opted to run up to Mugdock...it's only about 3-4m and although a wee bit of a climb I figured it would be a replacement weekend run...killing 2 birds with one stone!

It was a perfect day for the race...bright and cold. Not too muddy (some required or it's not a true x country experience for the kids;-)) AS I started the climb up into Mugdock my lungs were straining against the cold and I was practically walking up the steps..The gloves and snood came off and the zips came down.

When I arrived I found that I was one of the ' LAST RUNNERS', JD and I were to alternate.

As is normal with kids they sprint for the 1st 200meters then stop with stitches! This was to be expected but by the time i got to my second 2.2k lap with the S1's I was worried that I couldn't keep up...they just disappeared away around the corner-so fast! Pitying parents along the way were actually cheering me on, and chuckling to themselves...so far behind with the 'LAST RUNNER' bib on, like that was necessary! By the time we got to the stock fields there was one girl who was in trouble. Firstly it seemed it was just a stitch but when she became feint and dizzy, hardly able to say her name or stand up, it was apparent she was not capable of walking back. Fortunately we were near the Khyber car park so we radioed for her dad to bring the car round.

Once in the warmth of the car, with a few sips of Lucozade inside her, she was fine...just highlights the need for fueling up.

By this time the last runner was back so I returned to the start...watched the last race before collecting my reward.

A bacon roll and hot chocolate. Yum.

3 comments:

Subversive Runner said...

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for the comment you left on my blog. Yep, Debs told me you were joining the Brigade.

Good Luck!! I'm sure you won't need it, however.

If you'd like any advice or anything I might be able to help you with just drop me a line- davidwaterman638@btinternet.com

take care

Dave

Davie said...

Thank you!


Cheeky word verification below "Rednex" Hmmmmm.......

Alexandra said...

The reward is always worth it! It sounds like a fun time helping out! I wonder how cold it gets there getting into this time of year!