Monday 18 August 2008

The advantages of not being a high sided vehicle

I think I was putting off my long run this week. I was a wee bit worried that my legs just weren't going to hold up to the distance. I then ummed and ahhed over the route until finally I managed to get out of the door!
I started out up Stockiemuir and felt surprisingly good. Legs felt ok and I began to feel more confident.

For a complete change I ran out along Drymen Rd through Hardgate and Duntocher. At this point I was still planning the route! I thought about heading back down the Great Western Rd, or Going down through Clydebank and along Dumbarton Rd but decided on the Erskine Bridge. I have not run over it before. I had an idea it was about 5 miles away....knowing that the Clyde tunnel is 5 miles away too I figured the distance the other side of the Clyde must be 10? A neat 20miler?!

I marvelled at the view and avoided being blown off the bridge-one of the advantages of not being a high sided vehicle.

As i got to the other side I realised my plan was a bit off as the bridge itself is a mile long...I also realised that the only road or route I know on that side of the river is the M8 (OK for high sided vehicles)

So I did a u-turn (another advantage as HSV's aren't allowed to do that on dual carriageways) & ran back over and appreciated the view again.

I then dropped down and ran through Glen Lusset (a teeny little green glen beneath the concrete bridge supports) along the road a bit to join up with the canal.

Back on familiar ground I ran along the canal, making a new plan to join the Kelvin at Maryhill and follow it back to Garscube then home...I think that would have made the mileage but as I was coming along the canal I realised that my time was out and I would have to cut the run short to be home for the kids at 3. I cut up at Next Generation onto the switchback and made my way back via Canniesburn,Milngavie Rd, Kilmardinny Stockiemuir Ave.

I had forgotten to take my water with me, left it on the kitchen counter (duh), so it was a test for the SiS gels to see if they really do hydrate as they claim....the answer...I need the water too. I think that if I had done the full 20 I would have had to stop and beg some water from somewhere...I was so thirsty by the time I got home. Probably wouldn't have made the distance I did without the gels though!

It was not a very fast run but my legs were fine and held up well to the distance.

17m-2:28:15

No comments: