Thursday 21 August 2008

Irvine Marymass 10k

I did the Irvine Marymass 10k road race yesterday.

It is over a year since I did a 10k and decided it was about time to blow the cobwebs away and see how I would do! I had talked my friend Colin into taking part also so we headed down the M77 togther.

I did Irvine 2 years ago and really enjoyed it. It is known as a flat course but there's plenty of little slopes and inclines to keep you on your toes!


It was a lovely evening 17 degrees with a light wind. Arran was looking fabulously mysterious in the misty cloud, that was veiling it, showing through in slate greys and blues.

It turned out to be a good reminder as to 'how not to' race!!

I started way to fast and without sufficient warm up...just a wee jog. I allowed myself to be pulled along with the crowd, as a result by the end of the first k I could feel my calves siezing up. The whole middle section was painful with cramp in my calves. This was not my race plan!!

I also realised how tense I had become, shoulders were up and everything felt tight.

I concentrated on relaxing and breathing and gradually as we u turned at the farthest point I began to regain control of the run-and my pace!! By the last couple of k's I was settling into the run quite comfortably, though not that I was taking it easy!!

The last k is so deceptive...it stretches along the harbour and you can see the finish-it looks so close-but it's not, it goes on and on and on! I did manage to pick off a few runners in that last stretch but there was a girl who I had been closing in on for the last 4 k's. I managed to get neck and neck with her but she gave it a last kick and pulled away in the final 100 meters. It's these things that keep you going;-)

Next time!

Official results not up yet but I timed it at 46:14
splits: 4:23, 4:33, 4:48, 4:49, 4:43, 4:42, 4:45,4:43, 4:30, 4:15.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

So close, but yet so far those finish lines can be! They fool me sometimes and I put the pedal to the metal way too soon!

Love those neck and necks to the finish!

Congratulations on your race!