Monday 19 May 2008

Ashtanga

Reaching the ideal balance for the perfect race requires strength, speed, stamina and mental toughness. Ideally we runners should be able to tick all the boxes and come out on top every time.

Of course this isn't quite how it is!

It seems to me that the worst thing that can happen is injury, few of us have managed to avoid the inevitable. It is only then that we start to investigate how to heal and prevent our bodies failing where our minds are still strong! And our will wants to take us.

We know that prevention is better than cure and so to this end I am endeavouring to improve my core fitness. It is with this in mind that my good friend Jo has agreed to take me on as her yoga student...focusing on improving my running.

Jo is just about to qualify as a yoga teacher and has been teaching at Esporta for the last 6 months while Harry the regular teacher was away! As a friend I have been aware that yoga has completely changed her life...having only started as a student herself 2 years ago! She took to it like a duck to water! What I didn't realise was how hard she had been working!!!

I thought I was in for a relaxing, mind clearing gentle ride when I arrived at her place this morning! I was right about the first two but gentle it was not!!

She informed me that Ashtanga Yoga (Yes the one Maddie does) was the one for me. Ran through the principles and rules...NO VIOLENCE being one of the main ones!


Ashtanga Yoga UK describes it thus:

'The Ashtanga method of Yoga involves synchronizing the breath with progressive series of postures—a process producing intense internal heat and a profuse, purifying sweat that detoxifies muscles and organs. The result is improved circulation, a light and strong body, and a calm mind.'

Sweat I did. It was incredibly challenging. The names of all the postures have totally eluded me but the practice was amazing.

We were so involved in the postures we lost track of the time, it was two hours of hard work. Even after just 1 session I feel much more aware of my body.


Turns out that I am not as inflexible as I thought I was! There is plenty of room for improvement though!

Watching Jo is awesome. The strength and control and her ability to tie herself in knots...then untie herself.... slowly is quite mesmerizing! If I ever get to that stage I promise to post a video!!;-)

As this was my first session....and a pretty intense one at that, I have decided to skip today's recovery run. Am going to drink wine and re-tox my body instead!

No comments: