Thursday 8 May 2008

Not every run can feel great.

It was another blazing hot day today. The plan said 5m with 25 min tempo. This would have been fine, except that I decided to try a new route.

It really didn't look that hilly or rough on the OS map!

We went out along the Blochairn road. After parking (supposedly at the 'top' of the hill) We set off. The trail led suspiciously up wards. Feeling slightly responsible I assured myself that it would even out once we got to the woods. It did even out..but the smooth trail I was hoping to find turned out to be very uneven and more x country than anything else.

Eventually we hit some tarmac and started the descent towards Lennoxtown. By now it was becoming apparent this would be an out and back route. This detracted from the enjoyment of the descent a little as my legs felt like lead....I wasn't sure how I would get back up again.

I did get back up. But my thighs and calves were screaming, I still don't think they are talking to me. I can honestly say that it was the most painful run I have done in a while. I felt like I was wading through treacle most of the time. How can a 5.8 mile run feel harder than a marathon?

It was great to do a different route though and the views were spectacular. On one side the whole of Glasgow, and the other side the Campsie Fells. The sun was low in the sky casting a perfect light across the landscape. I guess it was worth it for that.

I know that not every run can feel great..I guess this was one of them.

5.8m-58mins (It was VERY steep!)

1 comment:

Coach said...

Well the slowest Tempo in history.:-) But views great.