Sunday 1 June 2008

Milngavie-Drymen

Robert and I decided to run the first section of the West Highland Way this morning.

By the time we started it was close to 9am, having dropped one car off in Drymen.

It was another scorching day. (I am told Berlin can be quite hot so I guess it's good training) For some reason it feels more of an adventure running point to point.

The route is a very familiar one, but no less breathtaking. Today was so clear. Even Ben Lomond was braving the skies without her usual misty covering.

I had forgotten how many gates there are once you pass the Beech Trees! Double sets every quarter of a mile, some of them are really quite fascinating with their weights and chains and different self closing contraptions. Makes it tricky to really get into your stride though. I wasn't complaining today though as I was in no hurry.

There were lots of walkers out, setting off on their 95 mile challenge. As I approached Drymen I passed an older couple coming in the opposite direction (obviously) who were covered in lots of banners and signs. Turned out they were walking from John O'Groats to Lands end for Marie Currie. Now there's a challenge. Didn't get chance to ask them how long they were taking to do it in. I wished I'd had my camera.



Drymen was full of drunk teenagers (yes...it was only about 11 am) and they had clearly never seen a runner before (obviously not from Maryhill) Grabbed a roll and coke in the wee cafe (another perk of a point to point:-) and came home.

12.36m-1:57:04

No comments: