Tuesday 10 June 2008

New Shorts. Long Reps

I was struggling to get motivated at the thought of doing 5 x 1000m reps. Before I could talk myself out of the session, I took emergency action and pulled on my new running shorts (Adidas with a groovy little key pocket:-)) that I got in the Achilles Heel sale yesterday! Nothing like new kit to motivate!

It was quite windy, the middle section was quite tough as there is a gap in the trees where the wind streams right down and buffets any attempt to move forward with any speed. (getting my excuses in early!) The Loch is looking stunning with all the lillies out creating a carpet of green and yellow.


The first rep I felt like my lungs were on fire, it was a relief to get it over and walk the 200m back to the start while my body caught up with itself and recovered. Numbers 2,3 and 4 were as they should be tough but OK, the 5th one I had to dodge a toddler outing. (2nd excuse!)

I find the reps great concentration practice, I challenge myself to focus on running for set distances during the 1000m...sounds easy but by the time I have reached 200m I usually find that I am thinking about anything other than running. I have to pull my mind back from 'what's in the fridge for tea' or 'did I feed Daisy (the dog) today!'

As is always the case (for me) with reps, they are the least looked forward to but the most satisfying session. Felt good to have them under my belt, in the bag and out of the way for another week!

The Swans have had their babies. 4 cygnets have hatched out. Aren't they sweet, hope they manage to avoid the Fox this year!

5 x 1000m. 4:10, 4:10, 4:10, 4:12, 4:15 (the one with the toddler outing:-))

1 comment:

Coach said...

Keep them going and you will be running sub 43 soon. Good session.