Friday 23 January 2009

Scotland 2009 Homecoming Ad

I was listening to the radio and this ad came up for discussion. Most of you will have seen this ad..it is supposedly broadcasting all over the world...can any world bloggers/readers confirm this?! Would it make you visit Scotland?



I think it's a bit of a cop out, using the celebs to sing a bit of Dougie MacLean’s classic song ‘Caledonia'. It's a lovely song can't really go wrong. You can even play identify the locations, then see if you're right by following this link!

The thing is this ad cost just over £150,000. Money well spent? Is this really what Scotland's about?

Considering Sean's line is 'Let me tell you that I love you And I think about you all the time' do you think that means he wants to move back here!

It's all a tad bit cheesy methinks!

Anyway the whole point of this was that the guy on the radio mentioned the Tennants ad from 2007. He reckons it was much better and get the message home far more effectively. So here it is for your enjoyment. The alternative homecoming with a pint of Tennents at the end! I know which one I prefer!


3 comments:

FionaOutdoors said...

Utterly, utterly heart warming. Thanks for that reminder that Scotland, and life and friends, really are the best!

ianbeattie1 said...

I think it is a great campaign. Hopefully it will give Scottish tourism a real boost this year. Ian

Jo said...

Obviously the Tennants one wins hands down. I am a fan of these campaigns and its a great song, but I do get pissed off when I see Sean Connery and Lulu just popping back to help us out when they haven't lived here for many years. Of course the familiarity of their faces to foreigners is the key, but I can think of many familiar scottish faces who do live here who would make the thing far more authentic, for me anyway.

Jo