Saturday 17 January 2009

Jack Crawford 10k

Well I thought I wasn't going to make it. With the kids activities in the morning I had given up on the race by 1 when Rory was still not done with Footy. I had resigned myself to a late run in the afternoon.

Then at 1 30 they all arrived. Teetering on the edge of will I/ won't I, I decided to go for it. Jumped in the car. Texted Robert to get me an entry and hot footed it over to Bishopbriggs.

I arrived with little time to spare at 2:15 pm for a race start of 2:30! As I drove through the car park I spotted a fair few Garscubers...Mary and Joseph (Debs & Marco), Jill, Maz, Anne C, Kaz, Joe and Chris to name a few. I also saw Stuart skulking round the car park attaching Balloch Clydebank fliers to every one's windscreens!

I had just about time to pin my number on and dash to the loo when the horn went, signaling every one to the start.


I have been pretty wimpish about the weather lately...running in fleeces and jumpers, so it was a real chill to take off all the layers and don the running vest. I wimped out and put a long sleeve under it!

Realising at the start line that I had not put my Garmin on...fully charged, logged in but on the car dash board!!

I hung at the back feeling quite half hearted about the whole thing. This was the only way I was ever going to convince myself to do the race...looking on it as a run with lots of other people rather than a time goaled race. It's the first one since the Marathon and I have not been feeling that competitive or motivated to run fast!!

Needless to say as soon as the started gun went I wanted to go faster. I paid the price for hanging back and struggled to pass anyone. The road was totally clogged with big long lines of girls chatting. As we hit the canal path it got worse. The conditions were muddy and wet and the chance of passing anyone were almost impossible.

I even had a tussle with a girl who just would not let up. Running with i-pod and cap, seeming to block us all from passing. I eventually passed her running up the bank and giving her a wide birth.

Two mins later she jumped a puddle...landing on my calf! 'Ouch' I yelled. She muttered 'sorry I had committed to the jump before I realised I wouldn't make it!'

AGAIN a few strides later she pulled up alongside me and another guy, barged right into him...nearly knocked us both over then proceeded to run RIGHT in front of us...... BUT slower! This led to quite a funny moment when me and the guy looked at each other with mutual exasperation, then in a moment of like mindedness, we sprinted past her along the mushy banks. Didn't see much of her after that!

I continued to struggle past a few people for the first couple of Kilometers, it wasn't until about 4k the runners spread out enough to run without taking the long way round.

As I didn't have my watch I decided to run at perceived effort...just enough to hurt a bit but not enough to have to stop.

One of the great things about running for the club is the support, there's always plenty of faces along the way. Cheering you on and making you give that extra bit!

As I approached the 8k mark I saw Flash, my First running coach and inspiration. I saw him glance at his watch as i approached...'How 'ma doin' I gasped pointing to my wrist. 'You're doin' great, keep pushing' he said with a big grin. Bother. I was desperate to know the time! Argggggggg

So as I approached the finish I felt quite strong but not as far up the field as I would have liked. I got over the finish line and walked up to the goodies table! Steve 'The Professor' Wilson (Thurs night hill runs) was there already! just pipped me to the post. now had I seen him I would have gone the extra mile to get ahead:-)

I had no idea what my time was but felt it was probably 48 something. Turns out it was not so bad. 47:07 so not so bad!


ooooo and the goody bag (well there was no bag actually!) but it included an asics shoe care kit! Does any one out there clean their running shoes??!!

Well done to all the other Garscubers. Marco did well coming in as 1st Garscuber and 16th place overall with 36:12. Robert managed a great 45:05 a great time, marking his climb back up the road of recovery!

10k 47:07

4 comments:

ianbeattie1 said...

well done - an eventful race from the sounds of it and a good performance!

FionaOutdoors said...

you are a star! wish i could find the resolve to do a 10k - but i HATE them! You are my inspiration as ever though! x

Debs M-C said...

You still manage to smile through all that drama? What a gal. xx

Marco Consani said...

Well done Rach. Lucky you getting a goody bag (without a bag) All I got was a Tunnocks Caramel Wafer. Bah.

Marco

PS Yes it's another hold me back night in the Consani household with us both on our laptops!!